Emma Sulkowicz is a senior at Columbia University that is making a big impact be bearing a heavy weight. An art major, Sulkowicz's senior thesis is one of the most bold, symbolic, personal, yet simple projects the university has ever seen. She is one month into her ongoing project of carrying a 50 pound dorm mattress with her wherever she goes on campus. This project affects her and an overwhelming amount of young woman in a very personal way. Not only is this an artistic showcase, but a stand for justice and equality.
On the first day of her sophomore year at Columbia University, Sulkowicz says she was raped by a fellow Columbia student whom she has previously had consensual sex with. There was alcohol involved, the lines of friendship and romance were blurred, and when she finally reported it to the university, it was dismissed.
When I began my research, I had a starkly different viewpoint than I do now. With a light amount of investigation, I perceived her as entitled and taking a serious matter and turning it into a publicity stunt. She very well might be both these things, but that is the beauty of her project. Emma Sulkowicz is embracing the same mindset as Hester Prynne of The Scarlett Letter. Instead of wearing the letter "A", Sulkowicz proudly boasts her mattress. She is not ashamed of being a victim, in fact she is using her bad situation to bring unprecedented amounts of attention to this important subject.
Coinciding with her bold stand, the White House has launched a campus rape prevention program called "It's On Us." This program positively brings rape to the attention to whole communities, not just the victim and rapist.
NY Times The White House
Short and sweet, I like it! When I clicked on this blog I was ready to hear an argumdng about how she is handling the situation all wrong, etc. but instead I found a really good point! You pointed out that regardless of whether this situation was or wasn't rape it brought attention to the millions of other tragedies that happen on a daily basis in our society! Emma Sulkowicz is a very brave women, wether or not she was a victim, she chose to take a stand and because of this, she may have very well changed a few girls lives in our country. Great blog, so clear and thoughtful.
ReplyDeletewithout knowing about this issue you have told me what i need to know and also have a good view and position on this. It is sad that this issue has happened but good that the White House has started a campus rape prevention program.
ReplyDeleteI love the connection you make with the Scarlet Letter, very scholarly. And I did not know she was an art student turning this into a project to raise awareness. It is not so much woe is me I am a victim but let me turn my tragedy into awareness and into a social push against this problem. Well done Payne!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great blog. I like how you compared her to The Scarlett Letter. It shows you know your topic very well.
ReplyDeleteI liked this because you weren't in my opinion so defensive sounding about like yes she was raped, like wether or not it was rape, rape
ReplyDeleteis still an issue and it's good she's bringing that to people's attentiom, I'm glad I read this.
i liked this post because I wrote about the same thing and didn't think about some of the points you brought up. even though I don't agree with it all and see some parts of the story differently I'm still open minded about it and liked your comparisons especially.
ReplyDeleteTo me, it sounds like she's thinking what kind of publicity could I get out of a rape? I haven't researched this topic, but the whole situation is just really sad. Maybe I'll read more about it.
ReplyDelete