Thursday, November 6, 2014

Death with Dignity

Brain cancer is scary. Death is scary. Fighting for your life is scary. Having a choice in when you die may seem like the only sane part of one's life. This is how I interpreted Brittany Maynard's reasoning for taking her own life with a physician's assistance.

Brittany Maynard had a form of cancer that was especially scary. Malignant brain tumor's more often than not completely destroy their patient's lives before taking them completely. As a control freak, I completely understand why Brittany was terrified by this and wanted control of this last part of her life. What I can't understand is how she didn't have hope. If not hope that she might live, then hope that she might use her time on earth to make a huge impact. How can you be certain that there is absolutely nothing else for you on this earth?

Another aspect of this case that I can't begin to comprehend is Oregon's death with dignity policy. To me, it simply translates as a pretty word for euthanasia. It may seem extreme, but once the floodgates are open for one patient, the lines of right and wrong begin to become blurred and unclear. If not controlled, this death with dignity law could become an inhumane, financial, managing, and immoral issue across the nation.

As a Christian, I especially find deep moral issue with this. Up to our deaths, we are here in this earth for a purpose. God might have planned for Brittany Maynard to make a huge impact in this life on her last day. Instead, she took control of her own fate.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/brittany-maynards-death-why-brain-cancer-so-lethal-n240841

No comments:

Post a Comment