Friday, January 16, 2015

Je Suis Charlie

While the US was still sleeping, Paris' satire magazine, Charlie Hebdo, experienced a devastating terrorist attack that left 12 magazine executives dead during the early hours of Thursday, January 8th. The attack was aimed at the magazine most notable for its mockery of Mohammed, the Muslim prophet. Two native French brothers executed a perfectly planned attack and calmly broke in and shot up the magazine's head quarters. After the attack I had the unique experience of watching the French news report live after the attack. I had just arrived home from India and my jet lag kept me up watching the news all night that night. The shock, the heartbreak, and the sheer outrage that France's citizens expressed was sad, yet inspiring and uplifting. A nation that historically has coward to assaults and knelt to oppression finally is taking a stand. Within hours of the attack, rallies gathered in support of the magazine and free speech. The saying "Je Suis Charlie" or "I Am Charlie" echoed from Paris, throughout France, and across the globe. Celebrities helped popularize the motto that symbolizes freedom of speech and press. 

I love that in the midst of tragedy, the French are rising above and not cowering in fear to these Islamic extremists. I must observe that the US has not done the same. Although President Obama immediately offered full support to France after this terrorist attack, the US media was not so openly supportive. In summary, it (as a whole) recognized the travesty, yet stayed neutral in voicing an opinion that might displease Islamic extremists. The New York Times even blurred out Charlie Hebdo's magazine cover released following the attack. 

I believe that if any other religious group had committed this crime, America's news sources would be openly enraged, turning anyone who they could away from the religion through persuasive writing. Yet, because of the 9/11 tragedy and it's association with Islam, we as a nation are living in fear. I fully believe in respecting others and their religions, but when it comes to the murder of innocent lives, we must take a stand. 

2 comments:

  1. To what extent should Charlie Hebdo be protected by the state on the issue of freedom of speech? to what extent should the state protect the freedom of religion against freedom of speech if at all? Should freedom of religion include the protecting of blaspheme against that religion by the state? Did charlie Hebdo go to far? Or is charlie Hebdo the guardians against religious radicalism? Just a few question I thought of while reading your blog and others, sorry for pouring them out here on your comments. Don't feel obligated to answer these. These where thoughts I had while reading all the blogs this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hard topic. You did well trying to address the need for the innocent to stand under oppression.

    ReplyDelete