I don't know much about the stock market. It is a mystery to me. I've tried to understand it; watching videos, reading articles, and playing the stock game. It turns out that even "Stock Investing for Dummies" is too smart for some people (i.e. Hannah Payne). But I do know about people, their perception of right and wrong, their reactions when they feel they've been unjustly wronged, and the constant moral battle that rages among humankind.
The New York Stock Exchange on a Monday morning is similar to a Vegas casino on a Friday night. The bustle and pure madness of the trades are as enthralling and addictive as In both settings, you take big risks and hope for big reward. Sure, there may be more of a science to trading stocks, but the mindset of NYSE and Vegas patrons is the same. Hungry for more money, more power, more adrenalin, more, more, more. And it's not healthy.
The fact that the basement genius, Navinder Singh, can send financial and emotional uproar ripping through the stock market with one fatal click of the mouse is infuriating. The fact that the entire world wept more for the loss of money than possibly a national disaster...equally infuriating. I know that money makes the world go round, and that is a necessary part of globalization and our society's evolution, but when is the line drawn? When is the line between comfortability and greed distinguished?
Accused of repeatedly trading in a very short amount of time in order to manipulate the system, some say this kid just changed his mind a lot. I found that somewhat funny. In realty, Singh entered a lot of huge, phony orders into the US stock market and then just as quickly withdrew them all within the comfort of his parent's basement. The entire market was upset and took the biggest and quickest dip in history. It took five years for officials to unscramble this seemingly simple mess. It makes no sense.
While this blog may be a commentary on the Flash Crash, it doesn't provide many answers. That is because as much as I've researched, I can't find the answers to my questions. Why did it take five years to pin this guy? How are there not more Is the trading system really that easy to hack into/manipulate? Is a possible for a nation to stay powerful yet escape the all-consuming fire of monetary greed? I don't know.
I suppose the only tangible solution is this: Traders must come up with more secure policies, a more secure algorithm, and ground rules. Until they do, the market is constantly at risk of another underwear clad, tech genius crashing the multi-trillion dollar market. As for the "heart issue," this world need a lot more Jesus and a lot less greed.
The New York Stock Exchange on a Monday morning is similar to a Vegas casino on a Friday night. The bustle and pure madness of the trades are as enthralling and addictive as In both settings, you take big risks and hope for big reward. Sure, there may be more of a science to trading stocks, but the mindset of NYSE and Vegas patrons is the same. Hungry for more money, more power, more adrenalin, more, more, more. And it's not healthy.
The fact that the basement genius, Navinder Singh, can send financial and emotional uproar ripping through the stock market with one fatal click of the mouse is infuriating. The fact that the entire world wept more for the loss of money than possibly a national disaster...equally infuriating. I know that money makes the world go round, and that is a necessary part of globalization and our society's evolution, but when is the line drawn? When is the line between comfortability and greed distinguished?
Accused of repeatedly trading in a very short amount of time in order to manipulate the system, some say this kid just changed his mind a lot. I found that somewhat funny. In realty, Singh entered a lot of huge, phony orders into the US stock market and then just as quickly withdrew them all within the comfort of his parent's basement. The entire market was upset and took the biggest and quickest dip in history. It took five years for officials to unscramble this seemingly simple mess. It makes no sense.
While this blog may be a commentary on the Flash Crash, it doesn't provide many answers. That is because as much as I've researched, I can't find the answers to my questions. Why did it take five years to pin this guy? How are there not more Is the trading system really that easy to hack into/manipulate? Is a possible for a nation to stay powerful yet escape the all-consuming fire of monetary greed? I don't know.
I suppose the only tangible solution is this: Traders must come up with more secure policies, a more secure algorithm, and ground rules. Until they do, the market is constantly at risk of another underwear clad, tech genius crashing the multi-trillion dollar market. As for the "heart issue," this world need a lot more Jesus and a lot less greed.
No comments:
Post a Comment